What is SQL*Plus
SQL * Plus is is a product of Oracle in which the languages SQL and PL/SQL can be used.
SQL * Plus has its own command language for controlling the product and for formatting the results of the SQL interogtions.
SQL * Plus is a Oracle utility that recognizes SQL commands and sends these commands to Oracle server for execution.
SQL * Plus is a powerful tool that is used in the development of applications for the Oracle database.
Operations you can perform in SQL * Plus
- editing, saving, loading and execution of SQL commands and PL/SQL blocks;
- formatting, saving, printing, and making certain calculations on the results of a query in the form of reports;
- listing of definitions of tables;
- accessing and transferring data between databases;
- implementation of functions for database managing: the users administration, namespaces table, operations management of archiving and recovery.
PL/SQL is the procedural language of Oracle for writing applications and for the handling of data outside the database.
PL/SQL may include a subset of SQL commands, when access to the database is required. PL/SQL Reference: Pl Sql Tutorial.